An Optus spokesperson said:
As of 9.30 am (AEST) today, there remains some localised impact to Optus’ mobile network in Queensland as a result of Cyclone Debbie.
As a result of power failures there are currently no Optus mobile voice or data services in Moranbah, Sarina, Hamilton Island, Daydream Island, and Clairview.
Poor weather conditions are hampering access to sites but we are continuing to work closely with the relevant emergency services, and power authorities to get safe access to restricted areas. Where possible, we are deploying portable generators to restore services as quickly as possible and now have limited service in parts of Mackay, Bowen, Proserpine, Cannonvale, Airlie Beach.
Support for customers
Optus has in place a financial assistance policy to support customers affected by the cyclone. On a case-by-case basis Optus can offer:
- free call diversions from an Optus fixed home phone to any mobile or fixed number
- extended timeframes for bill payments
- bill waivers in instances of extreme financial hardship; and
- free suspension, relocation or cancellation of a fixed service.
Anyone wishing to discuss financial assistance can call our Customer Care team on 133 937.
Optus stores in Mackay and Townsville will be open today to assist anyone who needs to charge their device or who requires access to a temporary prepaid service.
- Yes Optus Mackay: Shop GD2036 Canelands Shopping Centre, Cnr Victoria St & Mangrove Rd, Mackay, QLD 4704
- Yes Optus Townsville City: Shop 14 Castletown Shopping World, Cnr Woolcock & King Rd, Hyde Park, QLD 4812
- Yes Optus Townsville: Shop 6 Stockland Nathan Plaza Shopping Centre, 310 Ross River Rd, Aitkenvale, QLD 4814
- Yes Optus Willows: Shop 23b Willows Shoppingtown, Cnr Hervey Range Rd & Thuringowa Dr, Kirwan, QLD 4817